Alright everybody, 3.0.5 is nearing completion so I have some pretty screenshots to share of some of the UI enhancements coming in this version, as well as some information on some additional features I didn’t mention last time.
First, I want to make it clear that these are still in flux, and based on feedback from you guys and the infamous iSub beta team, these will be very likely look a little different at release time.
Now with that said, on to the screenshots!
Finally added the album art and info previews when browsing folders that’s existed in the iPad version for a while now to the iPhone. Also, you can tap the album art thumbnail to see the art full screen.
But the biggest changes are in the player
First off, the interface has been shuffled around a bit to get the seek bar visible all the time. No longer will you have to flip the album art just to see the song progress!
Now that the song info panel is actually only used to display song file info, the shuffle, repeat, and bookmark buttons got moved to a new location.
Also, by popular request, the playlist panel is now the first panel shown when you flip the album art. This should really increase the usability of the player. No more unnecessary flipping and sliding to do the most frequently used actions.
Now on to the entirely new area, the graphical equalizer
There is full 2-axis EQ control including built in and custom presets, plus a gain boost slider for those low gain podcasts and other recordings that just can’t seem to get loud enough even on full volume.
There are also 4 different audio visualizers currently included so that you can visualize the EQ changes you’re making on the fly!
Flip your iPhone sideways to get a full screen visualizer view. There’s even a visualizer mode to view hidden audio pictures like the ones in a few Aphex Twin songs.
On top of that, there are a few additional features that made it in to the new release.
- By default, only the first portion of the upcoming song is automatically pre-cached. That way you can get all the benefits of gapless playback and quick song start times without burning extra bandwidth if you end up skipping past the next song.
- The code for sliding to reveal the cache and queue buttons has been completely rewritten to prevent accidental taps. This has been a real annoyance for a while, and should be completely eliminated going forward.
- And on top of that, it’s now also possible to tap and hold to show the cache and queue buttons. So if you’re not a fan of sliding, there’s another option.
- You can now enter the cache size you want in settings directly with the keyboard instead of relying on the slider to do it. On large capacity iOS devices that could be a real pain. Now you can just type 400mb or 1.4 gb, etc to set the maximum/minimum cache size.
- The tab that displays songs currently playing on the server is actually useful now! You can cache or queue any songs displayed there by swiping or tap-n-hold. And selecting a song will load that entire album into the player.
- For all newly created bookmarks, opening the bookmark will load the entire album folder into the playlist. That’s been an often requested feature. Please note, make sure to update to the latest Subsonic release so that it sends down the information needed for this to work.
- Thanks to Crittercism, there’s now a support forum built right into the app! I always strive to give the best support possible, but many people don’t know that they can contact me for help. Hopefully, having a support forum available front and center will help more people get the best experience from iSub.
The Crittercism plugin even detects when crashes happen so that the next time iSub is open there will be a helpful link to the built in forum and to the iSub support email address so everyone can get immediate help with any issues.
The 3.0.5 update is getting very close to release candidate quality. There’s still some UI work to be done for the iPad version, and a few bugs to fix, but overall it’s coming together quite well. As per usual, I can’t give a solid ETA because I’m always wrong, but if all goes well, I’m hoping to submit
this weekend or next week at the latest when it’s ready (man I need to stop breaking my no ETAs rule :P).
I’ll have more information and screenshots posted as soon as the first official release candidate is christened. Until then, if you have any suggestions or comments, please post below, in the forum, or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your patience waiting for this update and for all of the fantastic emails I’ve received from iSub users!!